5 Thoughts I Had While Watching ‘Hiccups And Hookups’ Trailer Starring Lara Dutta And Prateik Babbar
Is it just me or has anyone else’s rate of watching series significantly gone down since the past few months? I just fell out of the habit of indulging in series, mainly because nothing excited me as such. Having said that, I am completely ready to get back into frequently binging on good series and see what all I have missed out on which I haven’t done in ages. I was intrigued by this new trailer from the upcoming series Hiccups and Hookups featuring Lara Dutta Bhupathi, Prateik Babbar and Shinnova as the leads. The series is produced by Lionsgate Play. Having been released on YouTube just yesterday, the Hiccups and Hookups trailer has already gotten 619,825 views and the comment section seems promising as viewers are interested in it. The story revolves around the Raos, a “normally weird family” who get into odd and uncomfortable situations as they navigate the modern world together. It also stars Divya Seth, Nassar Abdullah, Khalid Siddiqui, Meiyang Chang, Meera Chopra and Ayn Zoya.
Having not seen such a fresh and interesting concept in a long time, I decided to share with you guys the 5 thoughts I had when I watched the trailer of Hiccups and Hookups:
1. I like the title of Hiccups and Hookups and I am well aware that the title is an odd place to start but hear me out. Considering that the story revolves around an unorthodox family in which Lara’s character, Vasu, a single mother who hasn’t been on a date in 20 years, and Prateik’s character, Akhil, Vasu’s brother who is also the “CEO of flings” (admittedly, the title is mildly cringe-worthy) navigating the modern dating world together, the title is clever wordplay and moreover encompasses the inevitable mishaps of the situation they are in.
Also Read: Lara Dutta Makes A Case For Maintaining Work Life Balance Over Trying Too Hard To Be Seen On Screen
2. Hiccups and Hookups features Lara Dutta as a single mother going through a divorce, going on a date after 20 years. I like that representation. She isn’t some abla naari who is lost without a husband. She is taking the efforts to explore modern dating rather than being a middle-aged woman who cannot get with the times.
3. Talking about exploring dating, Lara Dutta in Hiccups and Hookups is shown being open to hookups and casual sex. I do like that aspect as well. Showing a middle-aged woman going through a divorce in our country is a bit of a taboo within itself. Moreover, they have shown her exploring her sexuality, also including a scene of Lara Dutta making out with a woman. Stan the sex positivity!
View this post on Instagram
4. Now, while I love the portrayal of the exploration of sexuality in the Hiccups and Hookups trailer, I feel like it kinda glorifies hookup culture. I don’t believe there is anything wrong with it but it could have been shown in a more neutral or realistic light rather than in an unnecessarily glorified manner.
5. Lastly, I also wish the Hiccups and Hookups trailer would have shown more of Shinnova’s character. All we know so far about her is that her name’s Kay and she is an “unpretentious teen” who gets into trouble often and drinks. Basically, the caricature of what boomers think teens are like. I really hope that there is more substance to her character and she isn’t just the namesake teenage daughter.
The trailer of Hiccups and Hookups does look pretty promising. Putting aside the mild stereotyping in the character writing, I think that the idea of an Indian family talking so openly about dating, divorce and sex is something that is needed in our society. The series is set to release on November 26, 2021, exclusively on Lionsgate Play and I cannot wait to quench my curiosity about what this series has to offer to our already existing host of content.