Surya Namaskar: Benefits Of The Yoga Pose Everyone’s Raving About!
Ever walked into a park, and seen people doing random poses facing the sun each morning? Well, then you have witnessed the famous Surya Namaskar yoga asana! It is a way of showing gratitude or paying respect to the sun, that is the source of all forms of life of earth. But there’s some much more to it than that. Surya Namaskar benefits are endless. Interesting fact: Kareena Kapoor dropped to size zero by doing 108 of every each morning!
If that’s not motivation enough, here are some benefits of Surya Namaskar that will make you want to include it in your weekly fitness routine.
1. An hour of Surya Namaskar burns more calories than an hour of weight lifting, cycling, rock climbing, or even running. Crazy, right?
2. The Surya Namaskar is a complete body workout, which comprises of 12 exercises that are done in a sequence, usually around sunrise or sunset. So that extra 15 minutes you have before you leave for college? Use it for some yoga, rather than to perfect your winged liner! In order to get maximum effect of this yoga routine, practise it in a well-ventilated room, or outdoors.
3. Suffering from PCOD? Surya Namaskar might just help you regularise your hormones, and regulate your menstrual cycle. The best part is you can even do this yoga routine during your period, as it helps ease menstrual cramps.
4. For those of you trying to drop those extra kilos, regular Surya Namaskar can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
5. This yoga routine is not only perfect as a workout, but it is amazing for mental health as well; it connects your mind, body, and soul. So, when you’ve stayed up all night to study for a stressful exam, this would be the ideal way to calm your mind and de-stress.
Amazing, huh? Who knew that these 12 super easy positions can do these wonders?
Here is a video that demonstrates the 12 positions of Surya Namaskar.