5 Thoughts I Had While Watching The Trailer Of Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan. One Of Them Was About That Steamy Kiss
If anyone ever asked me what the cause I most believe in is, I would have to say the acceptance of the LGBTQ community. For centuries they have been ignored, ostracised and just downright disrespected all because they weren’t considered “normal” by “society”. Thinking about what each and every one of them has gone through just makes me want to cry and give them a hug. The good part now though, is that more and more are finally talking about this. The community finally has adequate representation which is what will change the tide.
And now, taking a step forward we have Ayushman Khurana’s Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan . From what I could gauge from this brilliant trailer, the movie is about two men in love and their fight with their families. Here are five thoughts I had while watching the trailer, but before you check them out watch the trailer below:
- Everything about this two and half minute trailer is on point. The treatment of the message on homosexuality is super relevant, the humour is subtle and not crass, the dialogues are witty but not stupid. The opening scene itself when that uncle asks Ayushmann when he decided to be gay and he asks the uncle when he decided to be straight is just…everything. I mean, this is something every LGBT person been asked at some point, but they treated it with such subtle humour that it just works. That scene itself is so gripping that you can’t stop watching.
- Did you notice the indirect connection to DDLJ that shows up twice in this trailer? I almost missed it. Once when Ayushman and Jitendra are wearing that hilarious superhero costume (can’t wait to know the context of that) and trying to catch a train. Ayushman is running on the station and Jitendra pulls him in. And the second one reminded me of the iconic DDJL “Jaa Simran Jaa, Jee Le Apni Zindagi” scene. When Jitendra is running on the platform and gets pulled into the train by Ayushmann who is looking at him with love. The message in these connections to one of the most widely loved dramas is so strong. It is almost as if the makers are trying to tell the audience, love is love.
- Bollywood does not have any coming out movies. Shubh Mangal Zyaada Savdhan will be the first of its kind in this genre. A couple of movies explored this, but not nearly enough. I didn’t think the audience was ready to tackle a movie like this but after watching this trailer, I can’t wait to see what impact it makes. While I was watching the trailer, I realized it is so realistically made. I mean, if a man in India comes out to his family, I can’t imagine them reacting any other way. Of course, minus the humour, but the fight that they have depicted here, it will be the same. It isn’t glorified or romanticized and that is the best part about the trailer. On second thought, the best part about this trailer is how effin hot Ayushman looks (Alert: fan girl moment!)
Also Read: 5 Thoughts I Had While Watching Lagdi Lahore Di. One Of Them Definitely Was About Nora’s Love For The Ground
- Can we take a moment to talk about that kiss? Fuck that was so cool. It is crazy but Ayushmann and Jitendra actually have a lot chemistry between them. Of course, they are both brilliantly acclaimed actors, but that kiss was hands down better than a lot of on-screen kisses we have seen. I can’t wait for the day I get to attend a wedding and see an actual scene like this, that right there would be a huge step forward for us.
- There are very few movies I get this excited about. After all, there are very few movies that deliver the way I know this one is going to. It is funny and relevant, what more can you want from a movie?